Custom Search
Shoes mask weaknesses, barefoot highlights strengths

Friday 24 September 2010

Pins and needles

Ok as always I try and make this blog relevant to the everyday horse owner who has or wants to have a barefoot horse.  So I am not shy of acquiring ideas from the queries raised on forums - even though I do advise that these are not always good places to go to learn about barefoot.

Anyway someone contacted me about their horse, via a forum and this inspired the previous post about Ouchiness just post deshoeing.  The good news is that their issue seems to be resolving itself and they were kind enough to suggest that I might use their experience to help others.

Here is their note (names removed to protect the innocent).

Hi again,


This is the update and hopefully I won't have to bother you again....

Got to my horse's stable this morning and it was obvious that she hadn't moved alnight - all four limbs were slightly filled, poop in one big pile etc, etc. Got a halter on her and asked her to move...she was very reluctant and walking really strangely - exaggerated steps like when you put travel boots on them??... The filled legs cleared immediately but she was still walking really strangely.

Left her stabled and checked again about 3 hours later - repeat display from the morning so called the vet as I wasn't sure if moving her was wrong.


Vet attended - all life signs normal, no heat in feet, no sensitivity in feet, eating/drinking fine, no digital pulses, farrier had done a spot on job with removing shoes and balancing feet, no laminitis - still wouldn't move....weird
Transpires then 'pins and needles effect' were not allowing her to feel where her feet were. Got her out in the school and after a few mins she was walking normally. Will keep walking her in hand till she gets to realise that she still can walk!! Hopefully, that will be it and we can proceed with our rehabilitation programme!!


Thanks again, and just thought you would like to have another record of 'strange results' for your blog!!

Regards,

3 comments:

Val said...

Wow. It sounds like the horse's feet were "waking up". Interesting story.

Lucy Priory said...

Yes - I think it happens quite a bit and the inexperienced maybe tempted to put the shoes back on.

I don't doubt that some of the 'my horse can't put his foot down without a shoe on' is due to the sudden rush of blood when the shoe is removed.

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

wow interesting! I remember having an "ah hah" moment when my farrier took off the expensive shoes for a night which were supposed to be helping my horse and he seemed immediatly more comfortable without them. Hmmmm I thought.........barefoot we are now! :)

About Me

My photo
Southern England, United Kingdom