Custom Search
Shoes mask weaknesses, barefoot highlights strengths

Wednesday 12 January 2011

Posting comments - professional standards

Regular readers of this blog will know that I tend only to comment on things I have experienced personally.  I am also do my best to be up front, (whilst respecting the privacy of my horse owners) and post warts and all.  I often don't post on the very worst cases, it is too painful for the owners (and me sometimes).

Now I have just had a comment from someone who wishes to remain anonymous, who is questioning whether shoes hurt horses.  I don't mind the question, but I reserve the right to not publish posts which may throw doubt on the professional standards of the poster, are offensive, are anon' and/ or possibly damaging to horse welfare. 

However to paraphase the (unpublished) post and respond.  Yes I do believe it is unacceptable to put shoes on horses in general, but particularly when the standard of workmanship is not up to scratch.  I don't understand the need to defend shoddy workmanship?

Do I believe poor farriery hurts horses?  Yes, but I also believe that poor trimming, poor horsemanship, poor nutrition also hurts horses.  I see the evidence almost every day, in lame horses that come sound when these issues are addressed.  It is not rocket science and there is little room for debate.  Sound or lame?  That is the question.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Southern England, United Kingdom