Custom Search
Shoes mask weaknesses, barefoot highlights strengths

Monday 1 September 2008

Paddock Paradise UK style

My grazing is rented and the landlord wants it kept 'pretty' and 'no mud'. It is also in a conservation area, so overall I can forget about trying to change the basic nature of the grazing or introducing any pebble track areas.

But I am keen to find out what can be done and what will work within these strictures. We have started out with a 'nursery' circuit in roughly 1/2 an acre. Partly because my first circuit blew away - (lesson - long lines of tape between plastic posts do not work well on a windy hill) and partly because Madam has just finished 8 weeks of box rest and is still relatively fragile.

I have had to compromise between supplying a wide enough track to be safe and yet not providing so much grazing that the girls stop moving round the circuit. I have been careful to ensure no 'corners' which might stop movement or allow a horse to be trapped.

I have read some advice to put down hay, even when there is grass. I try this and find it works. The horses seem to like the change and it stops them getting upset stomachs (and maybe laminitis?) from gorging on too much grass.

The first day in paradise passes without incident.

1 comment:

Alessia Mestrone said...

Hi, I heard about the idea of paddock paradise for the first time in a FB group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/230121260423509/) and I found it really interesting so I was researching some examples in order to see if I can apply the concept to a "usual" uk paddock.... Thanks for sharing your experience. Can I ask you how is it going?
Cheers
Alessia

About Me

My photo
Southern England, United Kingdom