Custom Search
Shoes mask weaknesses, barefoot highlights strengths

Monday 6 September 2010

Equine corns

I did read an equine professional website which declared that the prognosis for corns was guarded.  I also read several which suggested that poor shoeing is a leading cause.

I am going to stick my neck out here and disagree with both.  A corn is a bruise caused by inappropriate/too much pressure.  I've seen corns in both shod and barefoot horses.

Mostly the bars have overlaid onto the sole and the resulting pressure has caused a bruise which is often not spotted until the offending bar is removed or wears off.

I have also seen a very tall foot where the bar hasn't overlaid as such, there are layers of false sole in the way. But the bar has also grown equally tall and pressed against the sole in the vertical as well as the horizontal planes.
Corn day one
4/5 months later
Ok, now it is obvious from the photos that this foot still has some healing to do even with the corn gone.  But on the plus side the horse is now completely sound over all sorts of terrain and competing fairly frequently sans boots.

Note the improved quality of the frog.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Southern England, United Kingdom