Custom Search
Shoes mask weaknesses, barefoot highlights strengths

Tuesday 18 January 2011

You are not a bad barefoot 'parent' and 'Ear Mites'

People who know me well, will realise I think Supernanny Jo Frost rocks.  So much of what she says applies very well in the horse world.

If you make a mistake this doesn't make you a bad 'parent' (horse carer).  Even if you make the same mistake twice.  Going barefoot is easy for some, not so much for others, it is not a straight or rock free path to follow.

Feel guilty if you don't learn from your mistakes, or if you blame the horse for them.  In time you will learn to read the map (your horse's hooves) and avoid the really big rocks (really bad advice from some people).

And learn to ignore the 'Ear Mites'.  Those well intentioned (or not) individuals who don't understand your choices, maybe feel threatened by them and/or completely disrespect your point of view and are at pains to make you feel bad for trying to do the best for your horse.

Or you could do what I do............

And point to all the previously PTS sentenced horses that are now sound and working.  And if you don't know of any personally then there are one or two featured on this blog.  But you know, Houston Mounted Police Force does it for me.  Anyone who can argue with that result - well, what can I say!  (it sure isn't printable!) :-)

1 comment:

irish horse said...

thank you, thank you! I always love your blog, but the ear mites comment is perfect. My barn owner, who I mostly like, has been making comments and yesterday told another woman who may want to go barefoot that she "doesn't believe" in barefoot. It's not the tooth fairy! It doesn't matter that my horse and I rode all summer on all trails barefoot with no lameness. By no means does he have perfect feet, but we're working on it. I've been frustrated and hurt by her comments. I'll work on just letting it go. (easier said than done). Thanks for your insights.

About Me

My photo
Southern England, United Kingdom