Custom Search
Shoes mask weaknesses, barefoot highlights strengths

Tuesday 31 August 2010

Contracted heels

One day deshod
Seven weeks deshod
Now

















































This horse's feet can be used in so many case studies. Today it is contracted heels. I have seen heels similar to those in the first photo described as 'genetic'; ie they can't be changed.

Seven weeks later this horse is well on the way to decontraction - all by herself, just daily turnout and a bit of light work.

A year and innumerable dramas later the hoof is still decontracted. No shoes required. Just a good diet and sensible management. Oh and because of pretty horrible environmental conditions they get scrubbed daily with salty water to keep Thrush at bay - a common culprit in contracted heels.

2 comments:

Wolfie said...

I use salt water for just about everything! :-) I actually have a box of salt and water bottle in my tack box. I use it on insect bites, cuts and scrapes on my horse. I only see my horse 3 times a week, so I am usually dealing with packed in dirt when cleaning his feet. I wash out the grooves around the frog with salt water once a week to give it a good clean. Salt water rocks!

Lucy Priory said...

Yes and it doesn't cost a fortune :-)

About Me

My photo
Southern England, United Kingdom